Wednesday, June 10, 2009

1911 with Kingwood

That in itself isn't that unusual but the wood itself it. First of all an end cut turns out very dark, while a rip cut shows it's magnificent lines. The wood is dense and oily and takes a polish very very well.

With these grips I use one coat of Tung oil. Now with other woods, the Tung oil will absorb in fairly short order and allow me to give another coat to seal it before final polishing. Not so with Kingwood. It takes over 24 hours for the Tung oil to absorb and then it's still tacky. This wood polishes great.

When I finish my pieces I use a combination of three buffer wheels loaded with various types of wax compounds. The wood smooths out and stays 'grippy.'


Kingwood-Sample


Brazilian Kingwood or as it is called in woodworkjing circles, Kingwood is very unique. First of all it gets it's name from the 17th Century when the Kings of Europe preferred that their furniture be made from it.

No comments: