Monday, March 3, 2014

Building Milk Crate Grow Containers

Here is my problem. I don't have all the gardening grow areas I would like. The ones I do have, dont get the proper amount of sun/shade that I would like.

Solution?

Build growing containers.

I saw a cooking show where a restaurant in New York City did that, and converted an entire roof top into a modular grow area. Cool idea.

My idea is to use 4 or 5 milk crates to grow salad vegetables. If this works, then I'll expand into larger containers. Specifically I'd like to use 5 gallon paint buckets for tomatoes, broccoli and the like.

Here is how I did the milk crates.


You'll need a few things first. Obviously you'll need some milk crates. I had a couple of varying sizes, and had to buy a couple. Make sure that the crates have holes on the bottom. If the bottom is solid, then punch a few holes with a drill.

You'll also need a roll of landscape cloth, also known as weed barrier. The 36" size is perfect. I got a 36" by 50' for about $10.00 from Home Depot. After doing 4 containers, Ive got enough left over to do another 20 or so.

You'll also need a desktop stapler and a staple gun with 3/8" staples. Finally a good pair of scissors and a pair of pliers or cutters.


First thing is to mark off the size, this is no different than wrapping a gift. Make sure you hae enough to reach the top of both sides, and then make your cut.



  


After you make the first cut, then make four cuts up to the base of the crate.








You want to fold the ends together and then using the desk stapler, secure the ends together, again, like you would with gift wrap on a present. You are doing this on the "outside" of the milk crate. Once you have this done on all sides, then gently remove and insert into the crate. Now take the hand held staple gun and secure on the inside. Be cautious as the staples will poke through the crate and are pretty sharp. Once the inside is secure, take your pliers and mash down the exposed ends of the staples. Don't cut them as they will help to anchor down the cloth.  


 


When you're finished it should look something like this. Now just add potting soil, some fertilizer and whatever you've decided to plant.

I'm starting off with two types of lettuce, carrot, two types of radish and spinach. I'm hoping this will give enough "salad" produce for our family.

No comments: